Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My First Week as a College Student

When I first walked in the classroom the teacher had not arrived so I wondered if she would be late, but the whole class had arrived thirty minutes early. I was still in a high school mind set and was expecting to sit in an English class were I would be lectured, not given the chance to ask questions till after class, and given a writing assignment which would be due the next day. This was making doubt myself, making me wonder if I truly made a good choice in taking the class, and I was not sure if I was ready to take a class with a real college professor.

When the teacher walked in, she seemed very friendly, said what was on her mind and she briefly introduced herself. She sat down but not at the teacher’s desk she sat at a table because all the tables were in a rectangular shape and that way it would be easier to have a discussion. To me it was different because I was used to having the teacher in front of the class. She went over her syllabus and we quickly moved into the lesson, she talked about what we needed to write, and our schedule that we needed to follow to be caught up with the reading. Everything was being done at a quick pace. At this moment was when I truly realized that I was taking a college level class.

The transition was not that big but, it was noticeable. My professor is different from my teachers at school and she also has a different way of thinking. I enjoy the way she teaches because I feel that I learn more this way. My writing assignments are not what I thought they would be but they are hard to write since I simply can’t just tell the story I have to put some thought and reflection to my writing. I am truly happy that I did chose to take English because I am really learning something and it is and eye opener. I feel that I am ready for the class and that I will receive a good grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment